An impressive burial complex from the Second Temple period. According to the studies, it is assumed that the burial complex was the property of the family of Queen Helene.
In the nineteenth century, the French archaeologist Felicien de Saulcy was granted permission to excavate the tomb and he took the sarcophagi ( stone coffins) to the Louvre in Paris. On one of the sacrophagi was the name Queen Helene which seemed to point at an ancient Jewish burial place. At the entrance to the tomb there are large ritual baths that served those travelling to Jerusalem.
In 1874 the French Berthe Levy purchased the complex with the help of the French consulate, and donated money to the Rabbis of Jerusalem so as to make sure that the place remins in Jewish hands.
For a variety of reasons, the complex is officially registered as belonging to the French consulate and today there is a legal battle being waged regarding ownership of the property, trying to return it to Jewish hands.