The first university that was founded in Israel. It was established in 1914 and began operating in 1928. It is the largest university in Israel, both physically and in terms of the student body. Albert Einstein donated all of his manuscripts to the university, as well as the copyright to them.
After the War of Independence (1948), the Mount Scopus university remained a Jewish enclave in Arab territory. It was impossible to reach it and as a result, faculties were moved to different buildings in the city and, at the same time, the Givat Ram university was being built on the western side of the city. After nineteen years, in the Six Day War, the Mount Scopus campus was freed and ever since then, the university faculties are divided between the two campuses.